Match reports 28/02/15

Wrexham ladies 2s 2 Whitchurch ladies 1s 1

Top of the table clash, Wrexham 2s vs. Whitchurch 1s took place on Saturday.  Wrexham took advantage of knowing their own water based pitch well by playing hard and fast.

Both teams, equally pegged, attacked and defended well. Whitchurch thought they had taken an early lead, only for it to be disallowed. Whitchurch keeper Phoebe Jones did an excellent job saving two shots from Wrexham breaks meaning the score remained at 0-0 at half time.

The second half began much like the first, with both teams desperate to score, Wrexham succeeding in converting a short corner. However minutes later the Whitchurch attack retaliated, Nicola Workman drove the ball through the Wrexham defence to score a fantastic aerial goal.

A break by Wrexham ensured a second goal, leaving Whitchurch on the run.  The last ten minutes saw great passing between Whitchurch players, Ellie Windsor, Lisa Sullivan and Catherine Gresty with many opportunities to score being created but none converted. Whitchurch worked exceptionally hard until the final whistle, but were disappointed to walk away with a loss.  Whilst still top of the table, Whitchurch 1s have to win all their remaining matches to secure promotion this season.


South Cheshire ladies 2s 2 Whitchurch ladies 2s 0

Whitchurch ladies 2s travelled to Congleton High School to play mid table team South Cheshire 2s.

Whitchurch applied pressure during the first 15 minutes generating a number of chances. Unfortunately the defence were caught out on a lucky break that gave the opposition a goal advantage.

Whitchurch continued to press with Laura Hollinshead making several breaks into the D but the forwards were unable to convert their chances.

Congleton’s second goal came after a lapse in concentration from the team. Overall, Whitchurch showed great endeavour and deserved to come away with a point from this game.

Laura Hollinshead was voted player of the match.


Bridgnorth Men’s Fathoms 1 Whitchurch Men’s Fathoms 2

A full strength Whitchurch Men’s Fathoms team were hosted by Bridgnorth Hockey and Cricket club this week.

The grass pitch, situated on the cricket out field, was always going to be a challenge to the younger Whitchurch players and warranted a change of tactics to the usual style of play.

In the first half Whitchurch Fathoms played down hill and pressured the Bridgnorth back-line creating the first Whitchurch goal by Jack Barnes in the opening 10 minutes.

Sporadic break away runs from the Bridgnorth attack were effectively cleared away by the Whitchurch defence led, by Ryan Murtagh, supported by Mark Sugden, Doug Buckeridge and Neil Jones in goal.

Yet it was incessant pressure and well worked attacking play through a mid-field of Craig Hockenhull and Phil Tranter to the Whitchurch forwards of Jack Barnes, Simon Bricento, Ben Fry and Ellis Hickson that led to the Whitchurch Fathom’s second goal – slotted away by Ben Kimberley from the edge of the ‘D’, hitting the back board with a satisfying thump.

Starting the second half 2 – 0 up, Whitchurch expected a different game from Bridgnorth who would use the down hill advantage to good effect. Whitchurch snubbed out many attacks by intercepting long-hit power plays within the Bridgnorth half.

Yet as the game entered the last ten minutes, Whitchurch Fathoms to lost some of their focus and discipline allowing Bridgnorth to score their goal in the last three minutes of the game.

All in all a good performance from the Whitchuch Fathoms on an unfamiliar surface which caused the ball to bobble about, move slower than the astro turf and prevent flat-stick stops.

Bridgnorth were welcoming hosts at a friendly clubhouse with a good atmosphere – serving a welcome chicken and leek casserole afterwards.