Match reports 07/03/15

Whitchurch ladies 1s 10 Whitchurch ladies 2s 0

The return fixture saw the 1s having to go all out to keep their promotion chances alive and from the off they took the game to the 2s.

Lisa Sullivan opened the scoring with a well stuck penalty corner to give the 1s the lead, the 2s however where in no mood to lie down and a quick counterattack saw Laura Hollinshead break through the centre of the 1s defence and fire just wide of the post.

This focused and fired up the 1s and saw Keeley Hathaway score a brace before the halftime break. The juniors in the 2s stepped up their games for long periods and defender Becky Brookfield and goalkeeper Shola Bailey made a string of crucial tackles and fine saves to keep them in the game.

The second half continued as the first finished with both sides not willing to give any ground. The 1s kept the score ticking over with a clinical display of finishing that has got them top of the league. Sue Read scored two from crosses from Jessica Kimberley on the right wing. The 2s gave everything with Tracy Tolhurst and Julia Neale never stopping in the midfield, but as the 2s started to tire the 1s took full advantage with another two goals for Keeley Hathaway and one each for Catherine Gresty and Ellie Windsor.

The 2s had a momentary lapse of concentration and Lisa Sullivan scored the goal of the game taking a quick free hit that was run to the top of the dee and smashed into the bottom corner of the goal.

Both teams took a lot out of the game the 1s the points and the 2s some excellent performances as the team gets stronger with every game they play.

The 1s travel to South Cheshire next week whilst the 2s take on Oxton at home 12.30 at the Whitchurch Leisure centre.


Whitchurch Fathoms 1            Barlaston Fathoms 6

Whitchurch Fathoms learnt a hard lesson against an experienced Barlaston team, Whitchurch couldn’t play their normal attacking game using their pace and youth to dominate the opposition.

Whitchurch had the early run of the game but against the run of play Barlaston took the lead. Whitchurch came back into the game as Ben Kimberley poached another goal on the back post.

Whitchurch attempted to attack the Barlaston team but they easily soaked up the Whitchurch attacks and counterattacked on the break exposing Whitchurch and took the lead again before the break.

The second half saw the Whitchurch team continue to attack Barlaston in an effort to get back in the game but Barlaston continued their game plan and continued to pick off the Whitchurch team with a number of well-executed goals.

The game gave the Fathoms plenty to think about and work on before the start of next season.