Match Reports 07/11/15

Whitchurch Ladies 1s 12  Alderley Edge ladies 0

The game started off with Whitchurch passing the ball around the Alderley edge players. After the five minutes Whitchurch got their first short corner of the match and Emma Harper scored from a drag flick. A second penalty corner saw Katie Plant score the second goal of the match from another penalty corner.

Whitchurch continued to pressure and a ball fired into the dee by Jane Williamson saw Sue Read score from a deft first touch past the Alderley Edge keeper and within minutes Sue Read scored a second after a goal scramble. A defence spitting pass from Laura to Nicola Workman saw her round the keeper to get on the score sheet.

Minutes into the second half Whitchurch took control as Sue Read scored three times in quick succession. Alderley Edge took their free hits quickly leaving the defence of Gayle Ladd , Katie Plant, Emily Hilton and Catherine Reece-Gresty to provide some crucial tackles to keep Alderley Edge’s from scoring.

Nikki Workman then had another excellent bit of play giving her a second goal quickly followed by a goal from Ellie Windsor pushing the ball past the inside post into the goal.

The eleventh goal came from captain Catherine Gresty running into the dee and taking a shot which traveled through a crowd of players into the goal. The last goal came from Sue Read deflecting the ball into the near corner of the goal to take her tally to six in the match.

Neston ladies 4s 3  Whitchurch ladies 2s 0

Despite not arriving at Neston until three minutes before push back Whitchurch rushed into action and were on the ball straight from the whistle applying pressure onto the Neston team. Neston took the lead unexpectedly scoring from a rebound of keeper Shola Bailey.

Whitchurch had several attempts on the Neston goal but we were unable to turn their opportunities into goals. Ashleigh Heath and Charlotte Lawder worked tirelessly passing the ball past the Neston defence but just shy of the goal, Whitchurch kept their heads and kept on pressuring the goal but Neston had the pace to create problems for the Whitchurch midfield.

At half time the score was 1-0 to Neston but Whitchurch had a very brief but detailed talk which boosted the confidence of the team.

The second half saw Whitchurch more of the same with Whitchurch attacking down the left and the right wings with runs from Masie Owen, Emily Vernon, Martha Teggin, Hayleigh Busby and Jess Kimberley working endlessly and creating chances on the goal but unable to convert.

Whitchurch’s best chance of the half came as Hayleigh Busby received a pass from Tracy Tolhurst and ran round several of the Neston midfield then picked out Jess Kimberley who ran into the dee but was unfortunately unable to convert.

Whitchurch never gave up and never let their heads drop and they kept up the pressure from the start to finish.

A special mention to Gwyneth Thomas-Rees for umpiring. Jess Kimberley was awarded player of the match.

Whitchurch Mens 2s 9 Wrexham Mens 3s 1

Whitchurch Mens 2’s finally returned to winning ways with a well-deserved victory over Wrexham 3s.

Whitchurch fielded a full strength team for the first time in a number of games and controlled the game from start to finish. Whitchurch opened the scoring as Aaron Shackleton scored his first goal for the club running at pace through the Wrexham defence and slipping the ball under the advancing keeper. The second came as a shot the was stopped by the defenders body on the goal line and Craig Hockenhull stepped up to convert the penalty flick awarded.

Hockenhull scored his second of the game driving into the dee and shooting past the keeper on the near post quickly followed as Jack Barnes got his first of the game as he was picked out in the dee and beat the Wrexham keeper

Despite going into the break with a 4-0 lead captain Phil Tranter had some harsh words for the team as they failed to take their opportunities. The second half saw Whitchurch start at a higher pace moving the ball around rather than running with the ball. Jack Barnes scored his second deflecting the ball past the keeper.

Wrexham through everything at Whitchurch to minimise the score line but the defence of Mark Sugden, Richard Leigh, Doug Buckeridge and Ryan Murtagh stood firm and soaked up the Wrexham attacks.

Craig Hockenhull completed his hattrick as Barnes turned provider deflecting the ball across the top of dee allowing him to run onto and strike the ball past the Wrexham keeper. Simon Briceno scored number seven as he ran onto a cross and swept the ball into the net. As Whitchurch pushed for more goals Wrexham took advantage to exploit the space available and pull back a well worked goal.

This only spurred on Whitchurch and Jack Barnes completed his hattrick when he was picked out unmarked in the dee and swept past the keeper. In the final minutes Iain Bones ran into the Wrexham dee and was brought down resulting in a penalty stroke which he subsequently converted.

Runcorn Men’s 3s 0 Whitchurch Men’s 1s 9

The men’s 1s travelled to Runcorn and continued their progress to promotion with another comprehensive win.

Goals from Joel Leese, Ben Lea, Ben Kimberley, Steve Lloyd, Tom Forrester, Felix Jeffreys and a hattrick for another junior who have come through the clubs Academy Aaron Swain playing his first outfield game for the 1st team.