30/01/2016 Whitchurch hockey match reports

Whitchurch ladies 2s 0 Alderley Edge ladies 6s 5

Whitchurch travelled away to play Alderley Edge. Despite only having 10 players Whitchurch played as though they had 12 with acting captain Sally Pearce leading the way.

Whitchurch started the stronger of the teams but Alderley Edge took their chances and despite the efforts of keeper Shola Bailey a rebound left an open goal and Alderley 1-0 up. With an equipment malfunction sorted the team bounced back into action. However a strike from the top of the dee left them 2-0 down.

Whitchurch were on the go again with Jess Kimberley picking out Masie Owen on the left who drove down the left wing and picked out Hayleigh Busby in the dee who shot just wide of the goal.

Whitchurch were quite glad when the half time whistle went and with sugar onboard soon had their energy levels rising and ready to go for round two.
From the of Charlotte Lawder was able to pass to Helen Hocknell and to Emily Vernon who had a chance to score but Alderley’s keeper made a great save.

Whitchurch once again applied the pressure but Alderley slipped passed the tiring team to score another goal. But with some great defending from Emma Clarke and Martha Teggin Whitchurch had another chance to break, although the team had begun to slow and didn’t have fresh legs to get them to the dee. A short corner from Alderley put them 4-0 up and with a final strike from the opposition left Whitchurch trailing by 5-0.
Emily Vernon was awarded player of the match. Whitchurch 2s will entertain Bowdon 6s home next weekend.


Whitchurch ladies 1s 6 Timperley ladies 5s 1

Whitchurch started the match positively and Emma Harper scored a short corner within the opening 10 minutes.

The home team pushed hard and doubled the lead with a strong push from Jane Williamson. Some fantastic open play followed with Lisa Sullivan having a goal disallowed. Emma Harper scored again giving the home team a comfortable lead. Katie Fowles converted a short corner for number four and striker Sue Read got a 5th before half time.

The second half slowed and Whitchurch allowed the visitors onto the score sheet. The last goal was the result of strong passing down the right hand side with Nikki Workman’s instincts slotting it home comfortable victory.


Whitchurch ladies 1s 2 Macclesfield ladies 3s 0

Whitchurch entertained Macclesfield 3s on Sunday for as it was a reorganised match due to a frozen pitch.

Playing their second match in two days Whitchurch took the game to Macclesfield, pushing hard into their dee and taking control of the play. Sue Read was the first to score with a fight to push past their keeper.

Macclesfield pushed harder and gave Whitchurch keeper Gwyn Thomas-Rees something to do.  Defenders Catherine Reece-Gresty and Katie Fowles passed the ball towards Lisa Sullivan, Emma Harper and Catherine Gresty. With plenty of accurate passing Whitchurch continued to create chances and shots on goal but to no avail.

After half time Whitchurch came back even harder creating the opportunity for Nikki Workman to tap it past the Macclesfield keeper. All Whitchurch had to do was hold onto the ball and wait for the final whistle.  Plenty of passing and using the width allowed Whitchurch to hold and came away with a well earned win, putting them top of the table.

Whitchurch are away next week against Chester.


Whitchurch Mens 2s game was postponed against Denbigh and will be replayed later in the season. The 2s entertain Llandudno Mens 2s at home next week.


Whitchurch Mens 1s 9 Chester Mens 6s 0

Whitchurch took the game to Chester from the start and within the first few minutes raced into a 2-0 lead as Tom Leonard scored from a penalty corner and Joe Nicholson raced through the defence to score the second.

Ben Kimberley received the ball on the right and drove into the Chester dee and fired into the bottom corner. Tom Leonard scored his second of the game turning and shooting from the top of the dee into the bottom corner. The first half ended with Martin Beecher deflecting a shot past the Chester keeper to give the home side a cushion.

Whitchurch were guilty of running the ball in the early stages of the second half and this allowed Chester to pressure the Whitchurch defence. Whitchurch re-grouped and Tom Leonard completed his hattrick after a pin point pass from Ben Lea.

Joe Nicholson scored his second from a pass from Joel Leese which he deflected past the keeper. Martin Beecher scored his second with a shot into the Chester goal

Joe Nicholson scored the goal of the game completing his hattrick firing the roof into the roof of the net from the edge of the dee leaving the Chester keeper with no chance.

Whitchurch 1s travel away to Winnington Park next week