Match reports 20/02/16

Whitchurch ladies 1s 3  Deeside ladies 3s 4

Whitchurch ladies 1s played a reorganised match this weekend against Deeside ladies 3s.  Deeside were playing with 11 players outfield players and with Whitchurch missing a few of their regular players they found it hard from the start to make an impression.

Deeside took control of the first half and scored 4 goals, leaving Whitchurch shocked at half time. A positive talk at half time saw Whitchurch ladies come back fighting. Captain, Catherine Gresty scored their first goal battling through the Deeside defence and slotting the ball into the goal.

Short corners were coming quickly for Whitchurch and Lisa Sullivan fired one into the bottom corner goal. Heads were starting to raise but with time running out Whitchurch had to work hard to keep the ball up towards Deeside goal.

Passes from Nicola Workman and Emily Hilton allowed Sue Read to slot the ball into the goal, making it 4-3 to Deeside. With minutes to go Whitchurch kept the ball in the Deeside dee needing to score another but were thoroughly frustrated when the final whistle came. Player of the match was awarded to Sue Read.

Ladies 1s are at home again next week playing top of the league Oxton 2s.

Whitchurch Mens 2s 3 Chester Mens 6s 2

Chester started the game the faster of the two teams and took an early lead with a well-taken goal. The game remained even throughout the first half with no team managing to take advantage. Whitchurch finally broke through the Chester defence as Steve Lloyd tapped in at the back post to equalise before the break.

The second half saw Whitchurch take the advantage with a thunderous short corner strike from Iain Bones. Much as with the first half the game remained even for large portions and again Chester battled back to bring the scores level.

Whitchurch secured the win as Steve Lloyd was picked out in the dee to turn in his second of the match and claim a hard fought three points.

Denbigh Mens 2s 2 Whitchurch Mens 1s 5

This was not as comfortable a victory as the score line suggests for Whitchurch, Denbigh had the better of the first half taking a 2-0 lead and had enough chances to put the score beyond the Whitchurch side by the half time break.

Whitchurch realised they had a hard game on their hand and upped their work rate in the second half and took the game to the home side. Goals from Martin Beecher (2), Tom Leonard (2) and Joe Nicholson gave Whitchurch another three points by the final whistle.

Macclesfield ladies 4s 0 Whitchurch ladies 2s 0

This week Whitchurch travelled away to play Macclesfield 4s. Whitchurch started the stronger of the teams straight from push back with teamwork from Helen Hocknell and Hayleigh Busby who drove down the right wing and picked out Ashleigh Heath at the top of the dee but was unfortunate not to score. Despite the harsh conditions Whitchurch gave their best efforts. The defending from Wendy Cooper, Emma Clarke, Mel Reid, Jess Kimberly and Becky Brookfield meant that the ball could be passed up to the wingers who had shots on goal were saved by the Macclesfield keeper.

At half time the weather began to become heavier and the temperature became colder, however with a talk from captain Julia Neale the team were raring to give the tiring team Macclesfield round two.
Whitchurch came out the stronger of the two teams again with Tracey Tolhurst driving the ball up the right wing and using the undefended middle of the pitch to get the ball into the Macclesfield dee but again were unfortunate to score. The team were unsuccessful in gaining a short corner, which had been practiced in training, and felt confident with. At the full time whistle the score was tied at 0-0 and the seconds had gone 3 weeks without loosing a game.
Keeper Shola Bailey was awarded player of the match. Whitchurch 2s will travel away to play top of the league Neston 3s next week at a 4:30 push back