Match Reports – 20-11-21

Golborne Men’s 2s 0 Whitchurch Men’s 1s 9

Whitchurch travelled away this week to an under-strength Golborne team who’ve yet to win this season and were having to borrow players from their 3s to make up numbers, but the Reds – who were top of the league through goal difference by only a single goal – knew they needed to make the most of their opportunity to ensure they stayed in first position. Their task was complicated by Paul “Sturge” Leigh being stuck in traffic on the M6, so for the first quarter of an hour the Reds played without a keeper. However, given the additional outfield player instead, it actually gave Whitchurch a competitive edge: as long as Danny Foulkes could keep the ball away from their high man, the Reds had an overload up front and it wasn’t long before Chris Ruscoe got on the scoresheet with a shot that the keeper was only able to knock down into the goal rather than clear.

This opened the floodgates, with Whitchurch 4-0 up by half-time, and 9-0 by the end of the game, with Ruscoe getting a second, Tom Forster picking up one, and both Jack Barnes and Luke Beddow getting hat-tricks. Whitchurch put together some lovely passing hockey, taking advantage of an opposition who had moments of excellence, but struggled to put together consistent play and had a habit of giving the ball back to Whitchurch too often and too easily. Sturge, now on the pitch in goal, was rarely called upon as the defence continued to mark well, with Steve Kay picking up the last-man cover role, and Whitchurch put in good work across the pitch – including great commitment from Scott Lawrenson who slid across the astro to stop a ball going over the Golborne byline.

The second half did have a drop in tempo, and cards were shown as tempers frayed, but Whitchurch kept their heads and their concentration to finish the game well and put some distance between them at the top of the table. They have two home games coming up against Knutsford and Deeside Ramblers where they hope to continue their progress.

Whitchurch ladies 2s 6 Crewe vagrants ladies 4s 1

The ladies 2s started strong and fast, scoring two goals in the first five minutes from Amelie Morris with the aid of Jasmin Williams, Louise Whitley, Phoebe Jones, Freya Gresty and Bella Morris. Whitchurch used the wings efficiently and tactically between Louise Whitley, Heidi Carr and Lydia Jones on the left. The consistent breaks of the Crewe Vagrants defence lead to a third goal scored by Jasmin Williams.

Whitchurch maintained most of the possession throughout the game despite the strong defence put out by Crewe. However, Crewe’s defence was unmatched by Whitchurch’s. Emma Stubbs, Hermione Ball and Megan Nicholson managed to keep out all but one goal. Megan made some fantastic saves throughout the game giving Crewe no advantage.

Whitchurch started the second half with a stronger attack scoring another three goals. One very deserved goal from Beth Wright despite the many opponents she had faced throughout the game. As well as two from Bella Morris with the assistance of Jas Williams and Beth Wright.

Whitchurch continued to have the stronger side and possession. Heidi Carr and Poppy Huxley made some successful runs with the ball due to the stronger central defense of Jasmin Williams, Lydia Jones and Freya Gresty.

The final score was 6-1 to Whitchurch, a well-deserved win.

Players player was Amelie Morris


Whitchurch ladies 1s 0 Cheshire Blues ladies 1s 2

Whitchurch 1s faced a tough home match against unbeaten top of the league, Cheshire Blues.

Whitchurch started strong, passing around the middle and making some breaks into the Blues D. Whitchurch’s defence Chloe Lloyd and Gayle Ladd worked well to prevent Cheshire blues scoring from their strong attacks but any shots on goal, keeper Holly Edwards bravely saved. Mid players India Freer, Lisa Sullivan and captain Cath Gresty worked the ball up the pitch for some chances on goal from Jasmin Williams and Emily Curzon. However they were unable to get a goal and the half time score was 0-0.

After a well-deserved break the second half became tough, having no subs meant Whitchurch were beginning to tire.

Hayleigh Busby and Mollie Bell worked incredibly hard working the ball wide up to Holly Gilbert and Williams.

Cheshire blues remained strong and managed to have many breaks into Whitchurch’s D. They won a short corner and scored their first goal. Whitchurch kept fighting, but the Blues took every chance they had and scored a second into the nets top corner. Whitchurch had a chance when they won a short corner, but a very strong defence stopped Whitchurch in their tracks and getting on the score sheet.