Match Reports 29-01-22

Whitchurch Ladies 2s 7  Deeside ladies 4s 3

At the start of the match, Whitchurch started out strong with Amelie Morris, Bella Morris, Louise Whitley, Heidi Carr and Phoebe Jones controlling the attacking field and getting many scoring opportunities in the dee.

Within the first 10 minutes of play Whitchurch got their first goal scored through Amelie Morris. Deeside’s defence was strong, but the Whitchurch attack worked together to pass around them leading Morris to score her second goal. Hermione Ball, Chloe Lloyd and Emma Stubbs transferred the ball around the back and up the line to Bella Morris who ran into the dee to score. Deeside made many attempts to score but goalie Gwyn Thomas-Rees made some excellent saves to frustrate the away side. A decisive tackle by Poppy Huxley in the midfield and subsequent pass set Bella Morris into the dee to score her second

In the second half, both teams came out strong. Huxley, Bella Morris and Jones all worked together pushing the ball into the dee and winning an attacking short. Captain Stubbs injects the ball which was transferred to Jasmine Williams to score. Despite Lloyd and Balls strong defensive tackles, Deeside managed to slot in their first goal. Whitchurch fought straight back with Amelie Morris and Jones scoring a joint goal. Shortly after this time, Deeside staged a comeback scoring to quick goals. Towards the end of the match, Whitley and Heidi Carr worked together on left wing and passed into the dee for Jones to slot home.

Whitchurch ladies 3s 0 Alderley Edge ladies 7s 11

Whitchurch ladies 3s travelled to Macclesfield to play Alderley Edge 7s.

Edge started off as the stronger of the two teams by scoring in the first few minutes. But Whitchurch kept their heads held high and struck back with Evie Hall and Eleanor Beecher running the ball up the right hand side of the pitch to which Hall drove the ball into the opposing dee. Tracy Tolhurst shot at goal which narrowly missed the post.

Despite Alderley Edge slotting the ball past our experienced injured keeper  Louise Cottrell, Whitchurch continued to work hard in defence with Emma Clarke and Rachel Chesters keeping edge at bay.  Elsie May Cotterell on the Left and Freya Gresty on the right drove the ball down the side of the pitch who picked out Lucy Hearn who drove into the opposing dee for a shot on goal.

After a positive and enthusiastic half time talk by our captain Jess Kimberley, Whitchurch went out stronger and more determined, with Tolhurst leading from the front by smashing the ball in front of her from the whistle, which was chased by Harriet Slater who drove the ball into space heading towards the dee which was stopped by the edge defence.

Edge then proceeded to attack the Whitchurch Dee but with the defence of Jan Teggin, Chesters and Clarke edge had a tough time getting through.

The final whistle ended with the result of 11-0 to Alderley Edge.

Next week Whitchurch ladies 3s are home against Deeside ladies 4s.


Whitchurch ladies 1s 5 Macclesfield ladies 2s 1

After a disappointing start to the new year, Whitchurch ladies were determined to come back fighting. However, after a mistake that led to a short corner Macclesfield were 1-0 up. The team were determined to not let this deter them. With 2 disallowed goals Whitchurch still kept strong. With a drive through the centre by Lisa Sullivan who passed to Cath Gresty who crossed into an open Dee , Hayleigh Busby drove from the back to claim the equaliser.

Whitchurch then earned a short corner we’re Busby slotted it home for her second. Strong driving on the wing meant that Caitlin Edwards passed to Holly Gilbert who drove round the keeper and added to Whitchurch’s third. Strong defending from Chloe Lloyd and Eleanor Hervieu allowed Whitchurch to keep it 3-1 at half time.

Whitchurch we’re caught out by Macclesfield’s strong start in the second half however amazing saves from Holly Edwards denied Macclesfield anymore chances. A Macclesfield foot on the line lead to a penalty flick, allowed Molly Fry to confidently shoot right corner for Whitchurch’s fourth.

Great team work continued; Mollie Belle slapped the ball to Izzie Huxley who won another short corner allowing Lisa Sullivan to fire home Whitchurch’s fifth.

Whitchurch stayed strong until the end and the final winning score ended 5-1.


Lymm Men’s 2s 1 Whitchurch Men’s 1s 0

Whitchurch travelled away to Lymm on a windy day hoping to get their first points of the year.

The game started at a fast pace with a very disciplined Lymm team stretching the Whitchurch team and looking to capitalise on any advantage. Whitchurch knew from the start what to expect and maintained their discipline and shape absorbing the Lymm pressure and looking to break quickly.

Whitchurch were unlucky not take the lead as Craig Hockenhull touch went agonisingly wide of the post. The game continued in much the same form but when captain Alex Fry was forced from the field through injury Lymm took the lead as Whitchurch re-organised.

The second half continued much as the first with Fry returning to the defence alongside Sam Conway and Will Snaith they continued to frustrate the Lymm forwards. In the midfield Dale Seymour, Joe Coburn and Joel Leese put in amazing levels of effort breaking down attacks and leading the Whitchurch counters. Whitchurch created chances using the speed down their wings with Luke Beddow, Jack Barnes and Alex Leigh flying forward at every chance but despite the endless runs of Tom Forster up front they just couldn’t get the break through goal they needed.

Whitchurch at times rode their luck as they were saved by the post and some amazing reflex saves from goalkeeper Neil Jones stepping up from the 2s.

At the end of the game Whitchurch were disappointed not to have got something from the game but could take a lot of positives from the game for the rest of the season.

Whitchurch entertain Macclesfield 2s at home starting at 13.30 next week.