Match Reports – 07-10-23

Whitchurch ladies 3’s 1 Golborne 3’s 5

From the pushback Whitchurch could see this was not going to be an easy game as the Golborne ladies had stance and experience on their side.

With Golborne players breaking free early to have a shot on goal at goalkeeper Phoebe Gregory managed to save numerous chances. The pressure was finally rewarded as Golborne took the lead via a penalty corner. Defenders Jan Teggin, Elsie Cottrell, Mabel Hazelhurst, Wendy Cooper and Mel Reid had their work cut out as they were busy sticking to their players who were very quick to try and break free.

In midfield Esme Mackreth, Izzy Gilbert, Grace Haynes, Alice Page and Freya Kellett worked continuously to support the defence and forwards throughout the game.

Just before half time Bella Clarke scored a cracking goal from a short corner.

At half time, Whitchurch had time to catch their breaths and discuss tactics for the second half, they then went out and implemented these frustrating the Golborne attacks and preventing all but one goal. Whitchurch fought hard and continue to gain in experience with each game they play.

Player of the match went to Freya Kellett were her efforts and constant running in midfield.

Lymm ladies 2s 2 Whitchurch ladies 1s 2

Whitchurch ladies 1s played away against Lymm 2s. Both teams had a shaky start and Whitchurch conceded early off a short corner. Whitchurch came back with a fighting spirit, passing well between Lisa Sullivan and Jasmin Williams.

Georgia Munro made a cross to Poppy Gilbert, who scored her first goal for ladies 1s. After a delay in play due to stoppage time for a Lymm injury, the half time score was 1-1.

In the second half Whitchurch came back as the stronger team, having multiple chances on goal from Hayley Kellet. Lymm broke against play but were stopped by the super defence of Chloe Lloyd and Katie Laffey, and superb saves from goalkeeper Caroline Wynn.

Player of the match Hayleigh Busby made an excellent goal line save to keep them in the game.

Whitchurch applied more pressure on Lymm, receiving a free hit just outside the 25. Lisa Sullivan played an excellent ball into Georgia Munro, who scored Whitchurch’s second goal.

After another break in play from Lymm, they received a penalty flick, making the score 2-2. Whitchurch were fired up after the penalty flick and determined to get ahead once again. Holly Edwards and Poppy Huxley worked together along the right to secure a series of short corners, but Whitchurch were unfortunate not to score before the final whistle was blown.

Oswestry ladies 1s 0 Whitchurch ladies 2s 8

The Whitchurch ladies 2s travelled away to play Oswestry 1s at Oswestry school.

Whitchurch started strong and Lucy Hearn scored in the first twenty minutes from a strong pass into the dee from Bella Morris. After a tough battle from midfielders Lexi Morgan and Maisie Bennett, Freya Gresty received the ball on the back post and slapped it past the keeper.

Oswestry fought back, battling through Julie Parsons and Jane Laffey with Pheobe Gregory making several strong saves from their attacks on goal. With Rachel Chester’s and Eleanor Beecher moving the ball out of the dee towards Erin Harden and Maisie Bennett, who passed to Laffey who passed a strong hit to Gresty who slipped it past the keeper once again.

Half time went with a quick break for Whitchurch and a constructive team talk and they came back refreshed. The second half started as strong as the first with Whitchurch taking most of the possession. Midfielders Laffey, Lexi Morgan and Julie Parsons made some lovely triangular passes up the pitch to yet again reach Freya Gresty who scored two goals within quick succession. Bennett battled hard on the left, stopping Oswestry getting passed and slipped the ball to Lucy Hearn who scored.

Bella Morris received the ball at top dee and slipped it across to Freya Gresty and it was flicked into the net securing her fifth of the game. After a lucky break from Oswestry, Eleanor Beecher got possession of the ball in the 25 and ran fast paced up the middle of the pitch and passed it to Lucy Hearn who scored her hattrick. Oswestry kept battling until the end but couldn’t get past Rachel Chester’s who was awarded player of the match.

Deeside Men’s 6s 4 Whitchurch Men’s 2s 1

Whitchurch travelled for a late start against an experienced Deeside side and came away frustrated with the result. Whitchurch started the game well moving the ball around through the defence of James Partington, Adam Rance and Pip Jones. Frustratingly a ball hit straight through the middle of the pitch saw Neil Jones with no chance as it was deflected past him to give Deeside the lead.

Deeside used their experience to control large parts of the game but when Whitchurch got the ball they attacked at pace through Nik Moga and Oliver Edwards down the left side of the pitch. From one of these runs Whitchurch equalised as Martin Beecher received a cross and guided it into the path of Will Edwards who slotted past the keeper for the equaliser.

Whitchurch continued to push forward, and chances fell to Beecher and Liam Pallet but some good saves from the Deeside keeper continued to frustrate Whitchurch. Whitchurch continued to push but several unforced errors were punished by the clinical Deeside attack.

The second half was a repeat of the first, Whitchurch created chances via Archie Phews and the hard work in midfield of Charlie Edwards in midfield and again it was the final pass in and around the Deeside dee which undid the Whitchurch’s attacks.

Whitchurch had numerous opportunities throughout the half, Craig Hockenhull drove into the dee and a quick exchange with Liam Paller saw him flick the ball over the keeper, only to hit his shoulder pad and deflect the ball into the air. From the resulting penalty corner Will Edwards forced the best from the keeper but it was not Whitchurch’s day

Thomas Wyndam-Lewis defended resolutely on the right and made countless runs supporting the Whitchurch attacks and duly earned man of the match.

Whitchurch Men’s 1s 6 Golborne Men’s 2 2

In an electrifying field hockey clash, Whitchurch 1’s emerged victorious against Golborne 2’s with a commanding 6-2 win. The match showcased thrilling moments and impressive plays from both sides.

Whitchurch set the tone early in the game when Tom Forster found the back of the net from close range just five minutes into the match, giving his team an early lead. Joe Chesters then doubled Whitchurch’s lead with a remarkable goal, skilfully manoeuvring around the Golborne keeper to score from a tight angle.

Golborne, however, showed their resilience by pulling one back, making it 2-1. But Whitchurch were relentless, and Tom Edwards capitalised on an error from Golborne’s defence, showcasing his clinical finishing with a well-struck shot late in the first half.

The second half continued to be dominated by Whitchurch, with Tom Edwards notching his second goal of the game. Ben Lea displayed incredible dribbling skills to weave his way through the dee to score during a short corner, extending Whitchurch’s lead further.

Golborne managed to find the back of the net once more, securing their second goal, but it was Whitchurch who had the final say. Jack Barnes sealed the win in style with Whitchurch’s sixth goal, converting yet another short corner.

In the end, Whitchurch 1 displayed exceptional teamwork, skill, and determination to secure a convincing 6-2 victory over Golborne 2.