Match Reports – 21-10-23

Deeside Men’s 4s 3 Whitchurch Men’s 1s 2

The game kicked off with Whitchurch making an impressive start, showcasing their offensive prowess. They earned themselves an early short corner opportunity, where Ben Lea executed a flawless drag flick, putting Whitchurch ahead 1-0.

The excitement didn’t stop there, as Joe Chesters displayed his skill by skilfully navigating past the goalkeeper and calmly slotting the ball into the net, extending Whitchurch’s lead to 2-0. The away team seemed to be in control.

However, Deeside were determined to make a comeback, and they managed to pull one back near the end of the first half, narrowing the score to 2-1.

The second half began with both teams eager to make their mark on the game. Deeside quickly won a crucial short corner and capitalized on a deflected shot that sailed over the valiant efforts of Sturge in goal, levelling the score at 2-2.

Shortly after that, Deeside seized the lead with their third goal, much to the dismay of Whitchurch. However, the Whitchurch team displayed unwavering determination.

Despite relentless pressure and some heroic saves by the Deeside goalkeeper, Whitchurch couldn’t find the elusive equalizer. A dramatic goal-line save and a blocked shot due to a thrown stick demonstrated the intensity of the match.

In the end, Whitchurch can hold their heads high, as they dominated much of the game and showcased their transition to a new 3/4 press system. They left everything on the pitch, even though victory eluded them. Whitchurch’s resilience and exceptional performance throughout the game will surely serve as a source of inspiration for future matches.

Wilmslow Ladies 2s 7 Whitchurch ladies 1s 2

Ladies 1s travelled through the floods to play away at Wilmslow this Saturday.

Coming up against an extremely strong side was a shock to Whitchurch and found themselves conceding 3 goals in the first 20 minutes of the match.

After fighting hard to get into the Wilmslow dee Georgia Munro slotted the first home for Whitchurch. Defence Chloe Lloyd and Katie Laffey worked tirelessly to keep Wilmslow out but they managed to score again before half time.

Hermione Ball and Tilly James kept the pressure on passing up to mid Hayley Kellet and Holly Edwards but Wilmslow kept taking the ball back before Whitchurch could get up the pitch.

After a half time break, Whitchurch found themselves defending continually, keeper Caroline Wynne made some amazing saves in the second half. Struggling to get the ball up the pitch in the first half, Whitchurch managed to break down the Wilmslow defence a little bit more in the second half with some shots on goal, then Poppy Huxley took a wide shot on goal with it slipping through the keeper’s legs.

Jaz Williams and Lisa Sullivan kept pushing the ball out wide to get to Cath Gresty and Tibby Galliers but couldn’t get past their very solid defence.

Whitchurch continued to put as much pressure on Wilmslow but couldn’t stop them scoring 3 more before the end whistle.

Crewe Vagrants ladies 3s 0 Whitchurch ladies 2s 3

Whitchurch scored two goals in the first half. The first goal was assisted by Heidi Groom who passed it to the left post where Freya Gresty flicked it over the goalie.

Whitchurch were given many short corner opportunities in both the first and second half but could not quite get past Crewe’s keeper. The second goal came from a free hit by Cath Reese-Gresty who picked out Poppy Gilbert who moved it up the field to Freya Gresty and with a good strong hit smashed it onto the back board past Crewe’s keeper.

Many other chances were created by Lucy Chadwick, Lucy Hearn, Julie Parsons and Eleanor Beecher in midfield using the whole pitch passing wide and tiring Crewe’s players. Whitchurch had a strong defence with Rachel Chester’s, Maisie Bennett, Gayle Ladd and Cath Reese-Gresty which meant Crewe struggled to get any shots on goal.

In the second half Whitchurch scored the third goal, Eleanor Beecher and Julie Parsons switching the ball up the field before finding Heidi Groom who out skilled Crewe to pick up Freya Gresty who slapped it into the goal for a hat trick. Whitchurch continued to work hard with some lovely passing moving the ball up the field to Freya Gresty who then scored another goal however it was disallowed.

On the odd occasion Crewe broke Whitchurch’s defence goalkeeper Phoebe Gregory kept the ball out of the goal with a fantastic save. A clean sheet for Whitchurch leaving with a 3-0 win.

The player of the match was Lucy Hearn due to her movement with the ball and creating great opportunities for Whitchurch.

Whitchurch ladies 3’s 0 Winnington Park ladies Development 1

With an early goal from Winnington park the 3’s were not down on energy and enthusiasm. The play was very even with runs made forward from both teams and lots of attempts on goal.

Some cracking saves were made by goalie Phoebe Gregory with one save off the tip of her toe going over the chain link fence.

Jan Teggin made some huge runs and was on full form, as was our player of the match Mel Reid with an impressive run which stopped a stay ball heading forward which would have seen the opposition with a one on one opportunity. We have seen some huge improvements over the last few weeks with today’s match showing some fantastic accurate passes and communication improving immensely.

There were some great shots on goal today and although no goals we have some great players working as a team and continue to improve week on week.

Whitchurch Men’s 2s 2 Crewe Men’s 3s 2

Whitchurch played a very hard and enjoyable match against a very evenly matched Crewe team which either team could have won.

The first half saw chances for both teams to score goals and both teams fail to convert their chances. Oliver Edwards latching twice onto the end of crosses in the dee and forcing excellent saves from the goalkeeper.

Despite the excellent defending of Pip Jones, Adam Rance and Lucas Hill, Crewe finally broke the deadlock and took the lead.

Whitchurch pushed forward and Alfie Edwards up front continuously pressured the Crewe defence and a run and pass to Martin Beecher saw Whitchurch draw level.

The second half saw Whitchurch awarded a penalty corner from which Craig Hockenhull setup a strike by Beecher which was deflected in on the back post by Will Edwards.

Crewe came back at Whitchurch straight away and James Partington was called into action with several crucial tackles along with keeper Neil Jones to keep Crewe at bay.

Whitchurch continued to roll players and Charlie Edwards and Liam Pallet joined the game to keep up the intensity. Whitchurch rode their luck on several occasions and should have gone further into the lead but for excellent goalkeeping.

Crewe finally took a chance and drew level and despite both sides battling hard until the final whistle neither team could find the winning goal.