18/10/14 Hockey Match Reports

Whitchurch Mens 1s   6   Barlaston Mens 1s       0

The Whitchurch Mens 1s are three games into the season and after securing this big win now have a record of two wins and one loss.

Whitchurch started the game strong showing the opposition what they can bring this season and anyone watching would agree that this very young side is looking one of the strongest in the league. Our first goal came from a penalty flick which was converted by our inside forward Ben Lea, the keeper got a pad to it but could do nothing but deflect it in. Ben Lea went on to score two more from sweetly converted drag flicks from short corners scoring his fifth of the season.

The three other goals of the game in which the opposition soon turned to aggression, knowing that they could not come back from such a strong side on the counter attack came from our left winger Joe Nicholson, our inside forward Joel Leese and our midfielder and captain Lee Davies. Joe Nicholson’s goal was well worked which he skilfully beat two of the Barlaston defenders and the keeper resulting in him claiming his first goal of the season. Unfortunately he picked up an injury landing badly on his foot meaning he had to go off and may miss some games this season. Joel Leese’s goal came from change of tactics on a short corner and the captain Lee Davies decided to slip the ball left to him and Leesel went on to flick the ball from the top of the dee into the backboard, again scoring his first goal of the season. Our final goal from Lee Davies was another change of tactics from a short corner in which he struck the ball perfectly hitting the back board which really wrapped the game up.

Whitchurch’s defence Luke Davies, James Partington, Alex Fry and Jamie Williamson all did an excellent job resulting in us not conceding any goals. However our keeper Paul Leigh played a big part in stopping shots when it came to the last ten minutes of the game and the team started to fatigue. But as the team walked off the pitch knowing they had played excellently and had won 6-0 this certainly wasn’t something to dwell on.


Whitchurch Men Fathom 11        Ludlow Men Fathom 0

Whitchurch Men’s fathom team had an overwhelming victory against a young Ludlow side, who had no answer to Whitchurch’s  strength  & experience but several of the Ludlow youngsters showed promise, For Whitchurch Ben Fry and Mark Sugden dominated the mid field, While Simon Bricento and Ben Kimberley had good games on the forward line. Goal scorers Simon Bricento (4), Jack Barnes (2), Steve Lloyd (2), Ben Kimberley (2) and Ellis Hickson.


Whitchurch ladies 1s 3 Warrington ladies 2s 4

Whitchurch ladies 1st fought against their toughest opponents of this season, it was a first defeat for our ladies with the final score 3-4 to Warrington.

Warrington ladies fought hard from the get go and were hungry for victory as they pushed through our defence to bring a score of 2 – 0. But Whitchurch ladies weren’t giving up that easily. We fought back at our opposition, and managed to equalise with goals scored by Lisa Sullivan and Nicola Workman.

There was plenty of work for our great defence team of Catherine Reece-Gresty, Claire Roberts and Jane ‘Crow’ Williamson and our wonderful goalkeeper Gwyneth Thomas-Rees, with debutant Keeley Hathaway seeing plenty of action too. Warrington pulled ahead with their third goal, which Lisa then matched. Sue Reed, Chloe Crump and Catherine Gresty fought to keep that ball in Warrington’s half, with Jess Kimberley and Julia Neale feeding the ball forward, with fatigue setting in some opportunities where missed for our Whitchurch ladies and although Warrington ladies lost a player due to injury they managed to secure their victory with the final goal taking the score to 3-4.


Whitchurch ladies 2s 0 Alderley Edge ladies 6ths 0

It showed how far the ladies 2s has come in a short space of time, many of the younger members having played their first senior matches this season.

The combination of Rachel Garnett, Gayle Ladd, Sally Pearce and Helen Apperley, Sharon English and centre half Katie Goodwin provided the cool heads and experience and the junior members of the team ran the Alderley Edge defence ragged for long periods of the game. Emily Vernon, Phoebe Jones, Ellie Windsor, Emily Hilton, Becky Brookfield, Ellie Windsor, Shola Bailey, Hayley Busby and Laura Workman worked until they could run no more but despite the team creating some good chances they couldn’t convert their opportunities.

The second half saw much of the same with both teams cancelling each other out, Eleanor Evans made one fine save in goal but had little else to do. Both teams were satisfied with the point they earned on the final whistle.