Whitchurch Hockey match reports 19/09/15

Triton ladies 3s 0 Whitchurch Ladies 1s 6

Whitchurch bounced back from last week’s game to secure their first three points in Cheshire Division 4.

Whitchurch took the game to Triton from the start and took a deserved early lead with debutant Ashleigh Heath tapping in the opening goal. Whitchurch soon had a two-goal lead as Laura Workman was picked out unmarked in the opposition dee and calmly rounded the keeper. Lisa Sullivan made it 3-0 at the half-time interval firing an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner of the Triton goal.

The second half saw Sullivan score her second of the match with an individual piece of brilliance picking the ball up on the halfway line and driving through the Triton defence and blasting the ball past the advancing keeper.

Whitchurch defended in numbers and both Helen Machin and Natalie Hollins playing their first match for the ladies 1s helped the team quell any attacks Triton attempted.

Sullivan completed her hattrick receiving the ball at the top of the dee and firing past the Triton keeper. The final goal came from Laura Workman as one of her many runs in the game were picked out and she tapped the ball past the keeper.

Whitchurch 1s will entertain Sale 3rds next week at home.


Whitchurch ladies 2s 11 Runcorn ladies 2s 0

It’s been a long time in coming for the ladies second team and when it finally did they took full advantage of their chances.

Runcorn arrived with only 10 players and no goalkeeper and Whitchurch were in no mood to give them any opportunity. After two minutes debutant Helen Hocknell scored from a penalty corner strike and Sue Read deflected in her first of the game after another couple of minutes.

Whitchurch continued to apply pressure and the goals continued to come with captain Julia Neale tapping in the third and Sue Read scoring the fourth and fifth before Hayleigh Busby scored her first for the club with a strike from the top of the dee to give Whitchurch a 6-0 lead at the break.

The second half saw Whitchurch continue to apply pressure to the Runcorn defence with Helen Hocknell scoring her second of the match before sister Clarrie Hocknell got in on the scoring after running through the Runcorn defence and slotting home.

Captain Julia Neale stepped up and converted a penalty flick before Sue Read completed the scoring with another brace and a five-goal haul in the game to complete a well-deserved victory for the ladies 2s.

The ladies 2s travel to Crewe next week to play their ladies 3s in a later pushback.


Whitchurch Mens 2s 1 Whitchurch Mens 1s 15

A new era commenced as Whitchurch men played their first game in the North West league. Whitchurch hopes to get the 1s promoted this season and begin to progress through the league structure. The result gave a strong indication that the strength and ability is there in abundance.

From the start of the game the 1s tore through the 2s defence with a combination of pace and intricate passing and within minutes and the 1s took control of the game with Martin Beecher grabbing his hattrick within the first fifteen minutes of the game. The 2s had opportunities to get back in the game but lacked the composure to finish at the vital times. Joe Nicholson scored two thunderous strikes and Ben Lea scored after dribbling past the advancing keeper to give the 1s a 8-0 lead at the break.

The 1s started the second half with the team pushing forward and they had an early warning when Aaron Swain in his first senior game in goal was brought into action to keep the 2s down. However the 1s didn’t heed the warning and minutes later Ellis Hickson grabbed a goal for the 2s. At this point the 1s started passing and moving the ball as in the first half.

As the 2s tired the 1s pushed home their advantage with a hattrick from captain Joel Leese, and a second half hattrick for Martin Beecher and further goals for Ben Lea and Joe Nicholson and a final goal Steve Lloyd.

The 1s entertain Wrexham 3s at home next week whilst the 2s travel to Runcorn 3s.