Match Reports 26/09/15

Whitchurch ladies 1s 5  Sale ladies 3s 0

Whitchurch Ladies 1s entertained Sale 3s this week and from the outset Sale were determined to bring the game to Whitchurch.

Whitchurch however were in no mood to give Sale any opportunity and were clinical from the offset. The first short corner was swept in after fifteen minutes by Katie Plant and minutes later Emma Harper flicked home the second from another penalty corner. Prior to the break Hannah Morgan-Wynne not only made her debut as a forward but met a cross on the back post for Whitchurch’s third.

The second half continued much as the first as Whitchurch continued to dominate play and it was not long before Whitchurch scored two more goals from set piece penalty corners set play short corners the first from captain Catherine Winter-Gresty and the second for striker Sue Read to give Whitchurch a well deserved victory and another three points.

All in all an encouraging performance by Whitchurch who travel away to play Macclesfield 3s next Saturday.


Crewe Vagrant ladies 3s 4 Whitchurch ladies 2s 0

The first half of the match was evenly balanced with both teams having plenty of chances on goal. There were some blistering runs down both sides of the pitch from Emily Vernon and Massie Owen but the team just lacked the finishing touch.

Crewe took the lead just before the break when their player of the match scored the opening goal.

Crewe started the second half with more determination but thanks to several saves by keeper Phoebe Jones the goal tally remained unchanged. Whitchurch continued to apply pressure and thwart the Crewe attacks through the midfield players Charlotte Lawder, Helen Hocknell, Julia Neale and Hayleigh Busby.

Nicola Workman and Jessica Kimberley led the attacks on the Crewe goal but the defence and keeper were too strong for Whitchurch midfielders.

Towards the end of the game fitness started to take its toll on the Whitchurch side and Crewe took full advantage with three goals in the later stages of the match.

Whitchurch players never let their head drop and continued to give everything until the end and can take heart from a good performance from the defence of Emma Clarke and Wendy Cooper.

Jessica Kimberley got player of the match and Whitchurch 2’s will be entertaining Macclesfield 4th’s next week at home at 12:30.


Runcorn Mens 3s 0 Whitchurch Mens 2s 2

Whitchurch travelled away to Runcorn looking to bounce back from the previous weeks defeat.

Whitchurch took control of the game from the off and should have been in the lead within minutes of the start. Whitchurch continued to dominate possession but failed to breakdown the Runcorn defence who seemed content to sit back and soak up the pressure.

Whitchurch finally got their breakthrough when the ball deflected through a crowd of players and fell to Jack Barnes who fired past the Runcorn keeper.

Runcorn continued to pose problems for Whitchurch as they attacked on the break as they pushed forward looking to extend their lead and it required several excellent saves from keeper Neil Jones to keep Whitchurch in the match.

The second half saw Runcorn come out with a clear tactical way of dealing with the Whitchurch side. For long periods Runcorn had the better of the game and the Whitchurch defence of Alex Fry and Iain Bones broke up attack after attack to keep Whitchurch in the game.

Whitchurch rode their luck and when a Jack Barnes shot hit the defender on the line, Simon Brinceto stepped up to convert the subsequent penalty stroke and give Whitchurch some breathing room.

Runcorn at this point lost their composure and indiscipline crept into their game and handing the advantage to Whitchurch to complete their first victory in the league and secure three points.

The Whitchurch Mens 1s against Wrexham 3s was postponed as Wrexham failed to raise a team.