Match Reports 10/10/15

Whitchurch Mens 1s 11 Llandudno Mens 2s 1

It was a very successful weekend for the Mens 1s as they continue to dominate games in the league. Two matches in two days have now seen them top the table with wins over both Llandudno 2s and Wrexham 2s.

Whitchurch entertained Llandudno on Saturday and despite Whitchurch having most of the play Llandudno defended in numbers and frustrated Whitchurch for the first 15 minutes until Joe Nicholson broke the deadlock closely followed with a second by Ben Lea.

Whitchurch then had a fright as Llandudno scored against the run of play and this focused the team for the remainder of the game. Ben Lea scoring another brace to complete his hattrick, Martin Beecher with four and captain Joel Leese with the final two.


Whitchurch Mens 1s 5 Wrexham Mens 2s 1 (replayed game on Sunday)

Whitchurch entertained Wrexham 3s in a re-arranged game on Sunday afternoon. Wrexham fielded a strong team and for long periods tested Whitchurch’s resolve. Despite conceding as the game progressed Whitchurch took control with two goals from Joe Nicholson and one for Martin Beecher, Ben Lea and Ellis Hickson and another well deserved victory.


Winnington Park Men’s 4s 8 Whitchurch Men’s 2s 2

Whitchurch 2s travelled to Winnington Park and knew they were going to be tougher opponents from their league position. Whitchurch were hoping to build on the successes of previous weeks, however due to injury and unavailability Whitchurch travelled with only ten players.

Whitchurch faced a skilful and youthful Winnington Park side and in the early stages had some good opportunities to take the lead. As they pushed to take the lead Winnington caught them on the break and gained the early advantage. Within minutes Winnington had a second with a freak goal that ricocheted off multiple players was saved and then the spin took it inside the post.

Winningtons third goal was one to be proud off as their forward met a cross and deflected an unstoppable shot past the Whitchurch keeper. Winnington pressed home their advantage and took a five-goal lead into the break.

A tough halftime talk saw Whitchurch reorganise to defend deep and attack the opposition on the break. This appeared to frustrate Winnington who despite having the majority of the possession could not break down Whitchurch’s resolute defending with Mark Sugden and Doug Buckeridge at the back breaking down attack after attack.

Whitchurch attacked on the break and a run down the right wing from Simon Briceno saw him continue into the opposition dee and slip the ball under the Winnington keeper. Within minutes Ben Kimberley pulled back a second as he wove through the Winnington defence to fire an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner to give Whitchurch some hope.

Whitchurch started to tire as the extra man advantage of the opposition finally took effect and Winnington finally broke through the defensive line and scored.

Whitchurch were disappointed to concede two goals in the final minutes of the game but took away from the game that they gave everything and were beaten by a better team.

The seconds entertain Denbigh at home 14.00 next week.


Whitchurch ladies 1s 6 Wrexham ladies 2s 0

The ladies had something to prove after both teams gained promotion last season.

The game started well with some good attacking play from Whitchurch players Ellie Windsor, Captain Catherine Winter-Gresty, Lisa Sullivan, Sue Read and Laura Workman. Emma Harper scored the first goal with a well-worked penalty corner. Wrexham created a few scoring opportunities but the defense of Catherine Reece-Gresty, Katie Plant and Emily Hilton soon broke them up.

Whitchurch raced into a three-goal lead as Lisa Sullivan slammed in a shot from the top of the dee and Laura Workman defecting home a cross for the third.

The second half continued with Whitchurch attacking hard, resulting in a short corner that Emma Harper drag flicked for her second of the game. In the final stages of the match Catherine Winter-Gresty and Katie Plant both scored to complete a comfortable win.

Next week Whitchurch ladies firsts travel away to Timperley ladies 5s.


Bowden ladies 6’s  6 Whitchurch ladies 2s 2

Whitchurch travelled to Bowden on Saturday and despite the score Whitchurch never gave up throughout the game. Bowden started the stronger of the two sides applying pressure from the start and scoring with in the first few minutes.

From the break Whitchurch turned the scoring sheet around and equalised as Ashleigh Heath ran through the Bowden defense and slotted the ball in the bottom right corner, this raised the confidence of the Whitchurch team. Before the final whistle for the half time Bowden struck from the top of the dee into the top corner leaving the score at 2-1.

During half time Whitchurch had a very up lifting talk that boosted morale and Whitchurch started to apply pressure upon the Bowden midfield and defense the break came when Jess Kimberley struck the ball into the Bowden dee and Helen Hocknell deflected home the equaliser.

After Whitchurch had equalised they lost concentration and Bowden took advantage and scored another four goals. Whitchurch continued to press but couldn’t get the crucial final touch in front of goal.

Mel Reed was awarded player of the match and Whitchurch 2’s will be entertaining Alderley Edge 6’s to Whitchurch for a 12:30 push back