Match reports 17/10/15

Chester Mens 6s 4 Whitchurch Mens 1s 8

The first half was one Whitchurch would rather forget. One car arrived late within minutes of the start and as the team were trying to sort out their formation Chester capitalised to take the lead. Whitchurch soon equalised as Ben Lea dribbled through the Chester defence and slid the ball under the keeper. Whitchurch pushed for a second and Chester again broke and caught Whitchurch asleep and took a 2-1 lead into the break.

The half time interval allowed Whitchurch to setup a formation and from the start Whitchurch took the game to Chester, Craig Hockenhull equalising from a rebound of the keepers pads. Whitchurch started to pass the ball around with the accuracy and pace of previous weeks and were rewarded with further goals from Ben Lea and a brace from Ellis Hickson and an individual effort from Steve Lloyd.

As Whitchurch started to tire the Chester side scored two in quick succession to again focus Whitchurch to the task at hand and Whitchurch finished on a high with a shot from Ben Kimberley into the bottom corner. In the final minutes Craig Hockenhull got the final goal deflecting home a well-worked short corner.


Whitchurch Mens 2s 1 Denbigh Mens 2s 4

Whitchurch 2nds entertained a Denbigh 2nds side who had already recorded two wins from three games this season. Whitchurch were up against it from the start as they were only able to field a team of 10 with the most experienced players unavailable.

Despite this the young Whitchurch side were a match for Denbigh in the early stages, although they struggled to mount any meaningful attacks. Denbigh made Whitchurch pay with a goal from a well-struck short corner midway through the first half.

Towards half time Whitchurch lost Ben Haden to injury. On his first start for the 2nds Ben had looked really accomplished and made some excellent contributions going forward and in defence. Unfortunately Denbigh made good use of the two extra players to take a 2-0 lead into the break.

Denbigh tried to seize the initiative in the 2nd half and make their numerical advantage count. Whitchurch defended resolutely with Iain Bones and Mark Sugden imperious in defence. The 2nds did their best to attack the Denbigh goal, but struggled to make the opposition goalkeeper work, despite the tireless running of Jake Wood and Aaron Shackleton.

Ultimately Whitchurch were undone by sheer numbers and Denbigh moved into a 4-0 lead.

Undeterred Whitchurch pushed “Bones” into midfield and an excellent passing move between him, Josh Parry and Jake Wood ended with Iain hammering a shot past the Denbigh goalkeeper for a Whitchurch consolation goal.

Despite the 4-1 defeat Whitchurch can be proud of the effort they put into this game.

Although they were outnumbered, Whitchurch were never really outplayed. The younger members of the side continue to grow and don’t look out of place in the side. Aaron Swain made some good saves and had no chance with any of Denbigh’s goals; Jake Wood and Josh

Parry worked hard at both ends of the pitch; and Ben Haden excellent debut was sadly cut short through injury.

The 2nds are away to Mossley Hill next week.


Timperley ladies 5s 0 Whitchurch ladies 1s 5

Whitchurch women’s 1st team travelled to Timperley this week to take on their 5th team. Whitchurch have really begun to get into their stride this season with a convincing 5-0 win under difficult playing conditions. A second match was being played close to the Whitchurch pitch, with all umpires having the same whistle it took a great deal of concentration for all players to keep the game moving.

Captain Catherine Gresty opened the scoring with a goal from open play. Shortly afterwards Timperley pushed forwards into the Whitchurch dee and won a penalty stroke when the ball was stopped just in front of the goal line by a Whitchurch foot. Keeper Gwyneth Reece-Thomas remained calm under pressure and saved the Timperley flick.

The remainder of the first half saw Whitchurch pressuring the Timperley dee and winning a series of penalty corners from which Lisa Sullivan and Katie Plant scored a goal each with perfect execution of their set pieces. Timperley rarely left there own half but did win one penalty corner that was successfully defended by the strong Whitchurch back line Gayle Ladd and Catherine Reece-Gresty.

The second half continued as the first with some great passing and teamwork between the Whitchurch midfield and forward lines keeping almost constant pressure on the Timperley defence. Several further short corners were won by Whitchurch, from which Katie Plant scored her second of the match.

Ellie Windsor rounded up the scoring and showed superb calmness under pressure when a short corner ball rebounded her way. A short knock into position followed by a strong strike left the keeper unable to save her shot. The Whitchurch defence were rarely called in to action, but when they were they showed their typical calm natures, carefully working the ball back out to their attackers to once again push forwards.

Timperley nominated captain Catherine Gresty as player of the match.


Whitchurch ladies 2s 2  Alderley edge 6s 1

Whitchurch played Alderley Edge 6s at home and from the start the opposition didn’t make it easy for Whitchurch as they applied pressure and took the lead scoring from a penalty corner as Whitchurch were getting into the game.

Masie Owen and Kate Goodwin created good opportunities passing into the opposition dee and Charlotte Lawder and Charlotte Ridgeway both edged wide of the goal. Before half time break goalkeeper Shola Bailey was called into action with a number of amazing saves that kept Whitchurch in the game and kept the score board at 1-0 down at half time.

Whitchurch had a very enthusiastic half time talk that boosted their confidence and from the break applied pressure. After a few chances on goal they equalised after Charlotte Lawder drove through the defence and passed to Hayleigh Busby who crossed for Ashleigh Heath to deflect into the Alderley goal.

Whitchurch were boosted by the goal and kept pressing for another goal but could not convert. Hebe Dixon in her first senior game was a really big part of the team by creating many chances on goal and making some really useful tackles.

Near to the end Whitchurch were awarded a short corner. Kate Goodwin ejected the ball out to Jess Kimberley at the top of the dee who struck the ball in to the bottom corner.

Alderley Edge pressured to get another goal in the final minutes and it was left to Shola to save and secure the three points.

Mel Reed was awarded player of the match. Whitchurch 2s are away at Warrington next week.