Match reports – 9th October 2021

Macclesfield ladies 2s 3 Whitchurch ladies 1s 2

Through absence and injury throughout the club several players made their debuts for higher teams.

Ladies 1s played away against Macclesfield and from the off the ladies 1’s looked like they had the upper hand, with some great passing down the pitch between Molly Fry and Lisa Sullivan. However, an annoying goal from Macclesfield after 15 minutes knocked Whitchurch’s confidence.

Defence was the name of the game for Whitchurch for the rest of the first half, not long before half time Macclesfield got another goal from a deflected short corner.

Goalie Holly Edwards made some great saves as Macclesfield continued to attack.


After half time, Macclesfield got their third and final goal. This seemed to wake Whitchurch up and they got more break throughs. Hayleigh Busby and Amelie Morris worked well together on the left wing. Then, Sullivan fired a ball picking out Captain Cath Gresty in the dee who battled with the keeper to score a great first goal! The ball then stayed in Whitchurch’s possession with Jasmin Williams and Hermione Ball keeping the ball away from their dee on their debuts. After a run down the pitch, Ellie Pearson then scored their second goal. With the score now 3-2 Whitchurch fought for more. Chloe Lloyd worked tirelessly in defence playing the ball up to Holly Gilbert on the right wing. The team really came together in the final third and did a fantastic job at closing the gap between the scores.  At the whistle the final score was 3-2 as Whitchurch ran out of time.

Ellie Pearson was awarded player of the match by Macclesfield.


Whitchurch play Crewe ladies 2s at home next Saturday.


Whitchurch ladies 3s 0 Alderley Edge ladies 7s 8

Whitchurch ladies 3’s – a team of over 200 years in defence and just about 50 in attack, with a number playing only their second game for the club and a number of debutants they faced an Alderley Edge team of older juniors and experienced seniors.

Alderley took full advantage of Whitchurch nerves and scored a high goal very early on quickly followed by a second. Whitchurch battled on with Ellie Windsor and Meg Brunyard working hard in the centre supported by Lily Harnden and Louise Whitley, but the Edge had it covered, and Whitchurch were unable to break through. Due to the brilliant work from the defence of Mel Reid, Emma Clarke, Jan Teggin and goalie Louise Cottrell it prevented Edge from scoring again before half time.

The second half was filled with stronger attempts from Whitchurch getting closer to the scoring area with Lucy Chadwick breaking through with pace but unable to find the backboards. Alderley Edge had to battle through Poppy Gilbert, Maisie Bennett and Eleanor Beecher who did a sterling job getting the ball from the Edge together with Hannah Wyke and Mabel Hazlehurst driving it up the pitch only to be stopped by the Alderley defence. Whitchurch battled from start to the end and gave everything. Led by captain Jan Teggin who with minutes to go was seen performing a well-rehearsed drop shoulder roll springing to her feet and chasing back.

It was a huge learning experience for the Whitchurch team, but they took many positives as they continued to improve throughout the game and never stopped working right up to the final whistle.

Players player– Ellie Windsor

Huge thanks go to stand-in Captain Jan Teggin and Umpires Gary and Chris.


Deeside Ramblers ladies 2s 4 Whitchurch ladies 2s 1

Whitchurch had most of the play in the first half, but when trying to hit out from free hits or 16s they were met with a wall of white and unfortunately this led to quick runs by fast forwards of Deeside. Whitchurch didn’t make it easy for them as Gayle Ladd,  Lydia Jones and Nicky Barber were powerhouses in the defence and Megan Nicholson was kept busy in goal saving shots as Deeside gathered forces, kept their sticks down & determination resulted in 2-0 lead to the home side at half time.

The second half started well with a swift run from Nina Hodges and Whitchurch thought they were back in the game but unfortunately it was disallowed after discussion between the umpires for a foot.
A quick breakaway goal from Deeside was followed up by smooth stick skills going round her defender by Sasha Preece in the dee and a quick cross to Poppy Huxley who knocked it past the goal keeper for a un-disputed goal making it 2-1. Heidi Carr and Bella Morris made lots of great runs getting the ball into the dee, but the Deeside defence was too strong. Whitchurch had most of the play in the second half and with good movement found gaps on from hit outs, resulting in several shots on goal saved by the keeper.
Deeside kept up their attack and scored two more goals before the final whistle finishing the game 4-1.
Deeside nominated players player as Nina Hodges it was well deserved as she worked very hard throughout. Well done to young players Freya Gresty and Lucy Hearn who got stuck in and were confident.  Everyone played amazingly and put in their best ‘well done’