Match Reports – 16-10-21

With both the Ladies 2s and Men’s 2s games cancelled.

Whitchurch Ladies 1s 7 Crewe ladies 2s 0

Whitchurch Ladies 1s played Crewe Vagrants 2s at home. Whitchurch controlled the game, fighting for every break and leading to their first goal with Izzy Huxley scoring off a deflection from Nina Hodges. Passes were sharp from Whitchurch, out on the wings to Caitlin Edwards and Holly Gilbert. Plenty of shots into the dee were rewarded with a short corner allowing Lisa Sullivan to fire onto the backboard with a straight strike.

Not long after that Molly Fry calmly scored from another short corner. Crewe made a couple of breaks that were quickly picked up by Chloe Lloyd and Heidi Groom clearing up the pitch, one of which Holly Gilbert collected and took round the keeper for their 4th goal.

Whitchurch pressured Crewe constantly throughout the game, Nina Hodges putting away a deflection as Whitchurch kept firing balls into the Crewe dee. Just before half time, another short, a pass to Captain Catherine Gresty who drove the ball round the defence to get their 6th goal.

Half time came at the perfect time as Whitchurch Ladies were tiring. Crewe came out hard playing more aggressive and gave keeper Holly Edwards a harder half but she made every save and kept a clean sheet for Whitchurch. Hayleigh Busby playing at the back had a fantastic defensive game, saving a shot on the goal line from a Crewe corner.

As Crewe dropped back it made it incredibly difficult for Whitchurch to score. Crewe frustrated in the last quarter as Whitchurch forwards battled, firing in balls for deflections and pushing through the middle by Mollie Bell. Lisa Sullivan took her opportunity, dribbling into the dee and shot into the back of the net for goal number 7.

Players player was awarded to Captain Catherine Gresty, next week is a rest Saturday for the ladies 1s.

Deeside Ramblers ladies 4s 4 Whitchurch ladies 3s 1

Whitchurch ladies 3s travelled away to Deeside Ramblers home ground at Tiverton to take on the team the ladies 2’s played last week.

Whitchurch won the toss and took the first push back and came straight out with a strong attack. Freya Gresty and Poppy Huxley worked hard on the left wing to keep the ball in the oppositions dee. Some strong passes from Alice Page and Jasmin Williams saw Louise Whitley take several shots on goal but she was unable to get the ball past Deeside keeper.

After a strong attacking first half with some excellent interceptions from Annie Leigh who soon sent the ball back up to the Whitchurch forwards, Deeside got to get the ball past keeper Louise Cottrell a minute before half time.

After half time, Whitchurch continued to attack but Deeside had upped their game and soon

capitalised by scoring their second goal about five minutes into the second half. The Whitchurch defence of Mel Reid and Hermione Ball worked hard and made some excellent clearances to prevent Deeside access to the goal. Whitchurch’s keeper made an excellent save and ended up on the ground but managed to use her pads to get the ball out to Wendy Cooper who cleared it out of the dee and up to Bella Morris who worked well with Lucy Hearn and Jan Teggin to drive the ball back up the pitch.

Unfortunately Deeside proved the stronger side and managed to slot three more goals past the

Whitchurch defence. In the last 15 minutes, Whitchurch lost Alice Page to an injury after being hit but this seemed to spur them on. Deeside gave away a short corner in the final couple of minutes, which Whitchurch took swiftly, the ball came off a foot of the opposition and another short corner was given just as the final whistle went. Whitchurch regrouped and following an excellent injected ball, Jasmin Williams went on to score Whitchurch’s one goal of the game.

Players player was given to Bella Morris who played a sterling game in the midfield.

Next week, Whitchurch ladies 3’s play their rescheduled away game against Runcorn Ladies.