Match Reports – 03-02-24

Whitchurch ladies 3’s 1 Deeside ramblers 5’s 4

A very difficult first half with some strong shots on goal which just crept past keeper Alice Snaith. The defence had to work hard and the attackers had drop back to help out.

But Whitchurch held it together and managed to have a few runs.

In the second half the girls gained a little bit of confidence and were much more hungry for a goal and Freya Kellett obliged. Lois Ebben also had a great run but unfortunately couldn’t get it past the keeper. Week on week the 3’s improve and every so often I hear the words, usually spoken by the more experienced players escaped the mouths of those youngsters. They grow as a team and individuals, and I look forward to the rest of the season. Player of the match was goalie Alice Snaith not one goal passed her in the second half and she made some amazing saves.

Whitchurch Men’s 2s 1 Wilmslow Men’s 3s 3

Whitchurch started the stronger of the two sides and pressured the Wilmslow defence as Craig Hockenhull fired crosses into the dee but the final touch eluded the strikers.

Chances came and went as Cian Hirst and Alfie Edwards brought the best from the Wilmslow keeper. Whitchurch stood firm at the back with James Partington controlling the defence with Lucas Hill and Thomas Wyndham- Lewis breaking down the Wilmslow attacks. Despite having the majority of the opportunities the break came without any score.

The second half continued in the same vein with Whitchurch battling for every ball with Oliver Edwards driving down the left-wing creating opportunities supported by Liam Pallet and Archie Phews.

Whitchurch rode their luck at times and keeper Neil Jones kept them in the game with a fine instinctive save. Wilmslow broke the deadlock with a goal from a penalty corner which incensed Whitchurch who believed an infringement had occurred before the ball crossed the line.

Whitchurch fought back and the work of Will Edwards and Nik Moga in the midfield won Whitchurch a penalty corner. Martin Beecher stepped up and scored when his initial strike rebounded off the keeper’s pads.

Whitchurch pushed for another goal and for the first time in the match lost some of the discipline and composure and Wilmslow punished them when their quick striker broke and clinically finished.

Whitchurch started to tire but also pushed for the equaliser as the game opened and were lucky as a Wilmslow shot hit the post. Joe Sheridan broke through the Wilmslow defence and brought the best out of the rushing keeper to prevent his shot.

In the final minutes of the game Wilmslow grabbed their third goal, Whitchurch took a lot of positives from the match against a team they had lost heavily too earlier in the season as they continue to improve week on week.