Match Reports – 10-02-24

Winnington Park ladies development 3 Whitchurch ladies 3’s 1

This match was tough from start to finish with the ball travelling backwards and forwards up the pitch throughout. The girls were made to move by the opposition’s quick attackers. All the girls put in 100% and chased every opportunity. For the first time this season each tackle was faced with a little more force than usual and it proved fruitful as Whitchurch kept winning possession.

Whitchurch were 2-0 down at half time but the girls really pushed to keep in the game. With newcomer Megan Hayward scoring in the 66th minute which was beautifully set up with a cross in from Izzy Gilbert and a sweeping ball behind the goalkeeper from Freya Kellett.

Goalie Alice Snaith was with her weight in gold again saving numerous strong shots on goal. The team is really bonding and some excellent passes were made accurately and created some good opportunities.

Whitchurch Ladies 1s 1 Wilmslow ladies 2s 3

Whitchurch took the game to Wilmslow from the off, passing and moving well around the pitch. Within 10 minutes, their dominance resulted in a short corner won by Lisa Sullivan running into the dee. Katie Laffey took a fantastic strike towards the corner of the goal only for it to be saved off the line by their defence.

Whitchurch carried on playing strongly all half with Hayley Kellett creating some great chances from her efforts in the middle of the pitch and Tilly James stopping numerous attacks down the right. Towards the end of the half, POM Hayleigh Busby made a stunning save off the line and the half ended at a very even 0-0.

In the second half, Whitchurch were caught out in the first 10 minutes. Wilmslow won a short corner and converted it after Whitchurch’s defender was penalised for running out too early. This made it tougher, but Whitchurch held their formation well. Caz Wynn kept them in the game with some fantastic saves! Unfortunately, Wilmslow were able to score from two more short corners against Whitchurch.

However, heads held high Whitchurch put pressure on the Wilmslow defence and through a run up the right by Cath Gresty, a pass through to Rachel Chesters and some one two’s between Jas Williams and Poppy Gilbert they created more chances. Poppy Huxley made some great runs up front and was unfortunate not to score as her flick hit the side netting. Minutes later, Holly Edwards narrowly missed out on a goal that almost crossed the line but a foul by Wilmslow resulted in a penalty flick. Poppy Gilbert stepped up and expertly flicked the ball into the top left corner. The game ended 3-1 but Whitchurch could take a lot of positives from how well they played.

Crewe Men’s 3s 5 Whitchurch Men’s 0

Whitchurch travelled away to take on the league leaders. From the start Crewe played the ball around and dominated possession but Whitchurch held firm frustrating the Crewe attacks.

Whitchurch broke against the run of play and Alfie Edwards shot just wide of the Crewe goal but Whitchurch chances were limited throughout the game

Whitchurch worked tirelessly throughout the game rolling players to maintain the level of effort, Craig Hockenhull, Airan Jones, Cian Hirst, Liam Pallet, Adam Rance and Nik Moga chasing down every Crewe attack.

Crewe were clinical and punished Whitchurch for any lapse of concentration or mistake and took a three-goal lead into the break.

The half time talk was positive and focused on doing the same things as the first half.

With the defence of Thomas Wyndham-Lewis, Lucas Hill, Archie Plews and Ollie Hogg making tackle after tackle Whitchurch stood firm for large parts of the game. With captain Neil Jones pulling off some excellent saves in goal.

Whitchurch put everything into the game and when James Partington produced a fine tackle followed by a collision of heads with the Crewe attacker and subsequently left the pitch the Whitchurch team re-organised and carried on.

Oliver and Charlie Edwards playing on the wings provided outlets to the pressured Whitchurch team holding the ball and providing opportunities to relieve the Crewe pressure.

Whitchurch finally broke through the Crewe defence and brought a fine double save from a Joe Sherridan shot and follow up from Cian Hirst.

At the end of the game Whitchurch again took many positives from their performance against a strong Crewe side and look forward to the remaining season as they continue to improve.

Whitchurch ladies 2s 6 Crewe ladies 3s 2

Whitchurch returned to winning ways this week with a fine victory over their local rivals.

The first half was a tight close affair as neither team managed to gain control of the game and it was very open and end to end. Heidi Groom managed to score a brace and the scores at the break were level.

Whitchurch re-organised their formation at half time bringing Cath Reece-Gresty back into defence alongside Gayle Ladd and this added more balance to the Whitchurch side.

Whitchurch seemed to have more time on the ball allowing the midfield of Massie Bennett, Eleanor Beecher and Julie Parsons to get their heads up and pick out passes to the forward players. Freya Gresty was found unmarked outside the dee and drove in and scored to give Whitchurch the lead.

Within minutes Gresty turned provider, picking out Lucy Chadwick on the back post who tapped into the Crewe goal.

Goalkeeper Phoebe Gregory was left with limited action as Martha Teggin and Hermione Ball swept up the Crewe attacks and gave the ball to Lucy Hearn to attack down the wing.

Whitchurch raised their game and further goals from Gresty and Groom took the game away from Crewe.

Whitchurch were pleased to be back to winning ways and ready for their next game.